How many hours are required in the cosmetology program?
Portland: 1835 hours & Vancouver: 1600 hours

How many hours are required in the Esthiology program?
Portland: 600 hours & Vancouver: 750 hours

Do you offer a hair design only program?
Yes we again offer Hair Design only program. Portland: 1150 hours. Vancouver: 1400 hours.

What different schedules are available?
We offer 2 different schedules for students to choose from:

  • Full Time: Tuesday-Saturday 10-6pm
  • Part-time: Tuesday-Thursday 10-6:30pm

Do you offer Financial Aid?
Yes- financial aid is available to students who qualify and we have a finance team available to students Monday-Saturday to assist students in their finances and answer any questions. We even offer intermittent financial aid classes throughout your program.

Do you accept Home School Diplomas?
Aveda Institute Portland does not accept Home School Diplomas/Certificates.

How old do you I have to be to start school?
You must be 18 years or older before you start school.

Is there a dress code required for students? Yes- students are required to wear all black or a white top and black bottoms.

Is there parking?
At our Portland campus there is street parking and lots in the area but no designated lot for the school. Our Vancouver campus does have a limited parking lot.

Do I get a discount on Aveda products?
Yes students receive 30% off on Aveda products on our retail floor.

How big will my class be?
We commit to having a 1:20 ration of Instructors to Student. While classes may be larger we will always ensure there are enough instructors in each class to meet this ratio.

I am interested in hair and makeup for photography- will there be opportunities for me to try this?
Yes! Photoshoots are a big part of AIP culture. Every student get to do a student photoshoot, with a professional photographer.

Are there breaks during the program?
Yes. There is a winter break for the holidays as well as a 1 week break during the summer

Do I get discounts on services while enrolled at school?
Students do receive 50% off on all services while enrolled.

What are the clients like?  
We have a very diverse clientele and students will work on all type of hair and skin.

When will I get to work on a real person?
Students will take models for the 1st 8 weeks but will be able to receive guests after that point.

Finance Department - Top Q & A

I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?
Yes! Need based and non-need based Federal Financial Aid is available to students attending the institute. To find out what you are eligible for, complete you FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The federal government evaluates all FAFSAs to determine loan eligibility based on your specific situation.

I am interested in funding part or all of my education through federal financial aid. What are the steps I need to take?
Complete your FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov as soon as possible o If you haven't already done so, contact the admissions department for application and enrollment information. Once accepted, meet with a financial aid representative to process verification (if needed)and to review a federal financial aid package.

I have been selected for verification, now what?
If you are selected for verification, your financial aid representative will request additional documentation. Please complete all forms with the proper signatures as soon as possible. Your federal financial aid will not be initiated until verification is fully processed.

How do I apply for grants and what is the current maximum Pell Grant?
Submit a FAFSA and it will automatically determine your eligibility for Pell Grants. During the 2019-2020 award year, the maximum Pell Grant is $6,195 for those who qualify.

Can I apply for a scholarship to cover my living expenses?
Yes! To find more information on scholarships, click on SCHOLARSHIPS link to the left and/or visit www.fastweb.com. Please remember to notify the financial aid office if you receive any scholarships. Please refer to pg.37 of the student catalog for more information.

I've been selected to receive a private scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?
Yes! All financial assistance must be reported to ensure you are within your cost of attendance. The benefit: if you are funding more of your education with free money, then you can reduce your loans.

Can I change my federal loans after they have been activated?
Yes. Please submit a student report to the financial aid office and we will ensure your loans are properly adjusted.

I completed my FAFSA over four weeks ago but haven't received my Student Aid Report (SAR) from FAFSA. What should I do?
Contact Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID or 1-319-337-5665

I am a dependent and my parents are divorced or separated, whose information do I use on my FAFSA?
Provide information about the parent whom you lived with most during the last 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, provide information about the parent who provided 50% or more of financial support during the last 12 months. If your parents have remarried after being widowed or divorced, provide information about both your parent and your stepparent.

How do I get a copy of my tax transcript?
First Step: Gather your Social Security Number, Date of Birth, Street Address and Zip Code. Second Step: order your tax transcripts online OR call 1-800-908-9946

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?
Yes! Fill out the FAFSA each year which opens October 1st.

Request More Information

By clicking the SUBMIT button as my official signature, I expressly consent to Aveda Institute Portland representatives contacting me via telephone, text, email or prerecorded message using automated telephone technology regarding Aveda Institute Portland programs, events and announcements. I understand that consent is not required to purchase goods or services from Aveda Institute Portland and that I may withdraw my consent at any time by contacting the Aveda Institute Portland.