Fall in Love with Your Future – 5 Steps for Planning Your Career in Beauty
You’ve been dreaming of a career in beauty – you know it’s your passion
. . .And that you deserve a bright future. But between education planning, licensing, paperwork, industry nuances, and financing, getting there can feel daunting. We’re breaking down five key steps to get you working towards your dreams.
Find Your “Why”
Self-reflection is a key first step when planning for your dreams. You know you’re ready to go after your dreams in the beauty industry – but WHY? What about the beauty industry makes your heart flutter? Get out that pen and paper and explore the following questions:
- When did you first fall in love with the beauty industry?
- What types of beauty excite you most? Hair? Makeup? Esthetics? Products?
- What type of day-to-day lifestyle feels like the right fit? Working with new clients? Behind a desk? Traveling the field?
- What types of feelings do you have when you think about a future career in the industry?
- What’s your dream job? Does it currently exist? If so, who is doing it?
Set Your Goals
Once you have a solid grasp on why you’re passionate about beauty, you can look ahead to goals that will bolster your passions and lead to a fulfilling career! Your goals can include both short-term and long-term items – big dreams and quick wins. What’s important is that each goal speaks to your “why” and helps lead you towards the future you crave.
Consider setting goals surrounding measurable milestones – give yourself deadlines and metrics you can check-off your list. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10? Remember – it’s ok to dream big!
Make an Action Plan
Now that your goals are clearly defined, let’s figure out how to get you there. Look at each of your goals one-by-one, and do some research on what will be necessary to get you there. Look at your “dream job” and the qualifications/experience required – how can you achieve that experience? What licenses are required for your goals? Education? List out each of the steps necessary to get you where you want to be, and then organize them into a game-plan to get you there. This is a GREAT time to create a five- and ten-year plan.
Engage With Mentors
You’ve grappled with your passions, set your goals, and made a plan – now it’s time for some feedback. Mentors are an INCREDIBLE resource to help guide you on your career path and provide advice. A great mentor will be there as a sounding board for your bad days and a cheerleader on your best days. They’ve been where you are and are excited to help you grow. Consider members of the following groups for potential mentorship, and remember – there’s no such thing as TOO MANY mentors!
- Admissions directors at your future school
- Educators at your school
- Individuals living your “dream job”
- Community members engaged with your industry
- Business professionals that have your best interest at heart
- Creatives and artists who’s style reflects yours or the style you’d like to achieve
Let’s Do This!
You’re all planned out! Now’s the time to ACT. Take the solid foundation you’ve prepped and translate that into next steps. What’s first on your to-do list to accomplish your first goal? Do it TODAY. No matter how small of a step you take, take ONE step in the right direction – there’s no time like NOW.